Saturday

Week One Blog Prompt

I think National Service in Singapore is compulsory because every men in Singapore should have that chance to show their patriotism and love for the country they live in, Singapore. It is important because in the world we live in today, there are so many threats, especially terrorist threats. Since the 9/11 incident that happened to the United States of America in the year 2001, every country in the world has stepped up security measures to prevent such horrible incidents from happening in their country and even if they are unable to prevent such incidents, they would be able to respond quickly enough to catch the culprits, save the victims and assure everyone that it is save once again. Singapore being Singapore, we have faced couple of threats. The one that most people would remember is the plane hijack done by Mas Selamat bin Kastari, the leader of terrorist group, Jemaah Islamiah. After his escape from the Whitley Road Detention Centre, the Singapore Arm Forces, Singapore Navy as well as the Singapore Police Force were deployed. These men went through the National Service and came out as fit young soldiers and policemen, and in times of need, they will be sent out for task in order to keep Singapore safe. That's my explanation for why we have National Service compulsory in Singapore.

Do I think I am patriotic to Singapore? Personally, I have absolutely no idea. I can't say that I am patriotic at times because I really hate somethings on the island. Yet, I cannot say that I am not patriotic towards Singapore because I do indeed like or even love things in Singapore. So it's actually quite contradicting.

2 comments:

  1. I think it is rather good that you have provided examples for your post and thus giving us a clearer information of what you are discussing. Regarding the question on your personal status towards Singapore, I believe you could describe more things. For example, you could include what you like and dislike about Singapore and also why your attitude towards Singapore is like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mentioned Mas Selamat escaping and what the police officers and soldiers did to protect Singapore. Actually, if they really were patriotic, they would have guarded that place well and not allow anyone to flee the compound. They wouldn't have allowed a small little hitch. But they did a good job starting the manhunt and trying to find Mas Selamat. You definitely gave good examples of terrorism in our modern society.

    I find it humorous that you do not know whether you are patriotic to Singapore. You are a Singaporean right? So you should at least adapt to this country and try to take in all the 'nasty' and 'annoying' things happening.

    Good job Jun Yi! :D

    ReplyDelete